A Hot Breakfast Before School??!!
Who has the time to make a hot breakfast for their kids every morning? Do you even do that anymore in our fast-paced modern life?
A hot breakfast on a school day is what our stay at home grandmothers and Martha Stewart does. Not real life modern moms!
The only “HOT” real moms (like you) can think of in the morning is “I wish I could just look hot today after trying on only one outfit (and not 7! :)! Or if you’re like me, you’re just trying to avoid looking like a “HOT” mess most mornings…Because you run out of time getting dressed every single morning!
Sure, you wish you had time to start feeding your kids a healthy hot breakfast that is QUICK to make on a school morning and gives you more time in the mirror. But, you may say to yourself, “there’s no way!”
Well…What if you COULD prepare your kids a hot healthy breakfast in minutes, that is also gluten-free, allergy-free, as well as complaint-free? I say you can…with buckwheat!
(Even better, it doesn’t have to be only for breakfast…keep reading to see what I mean.)
The Benefits of Buckwheat
I know what you’re thinking, “Buckwheat? how can that be gluten free…it says ‘wheat‘ in the name?“
Despite the name, Buckwheat is not actually a wheat grain variation?
The fact is, that Buckwheat is a Gluten-Free groat (or seed) that is packed full of protein and fiber. According to an article published by the National Center for Biotechnology Information, Buckwheat contains a protein with preferred amino acid composition, it is a valuable source of micronutrients and vitamins of the B group and vitamin E, and has a high amount of polyphenols, including flavonoids and flavones.
Did you know?
Buckwheat is gluten free and NOT wheat. It is also high in fiber and protein.
Here’s some other cool facts about the groat (seed):
- Just 1 cup of buckwheat has 5 grams of fiber and 6 grams of protein;
- Buckwheat is not only gluten free but is a plant based protein with twelve amino acids — the “building blocks of protein” that support energy, growth and muscle synthesis;
- Buckwheat can help and slow digestion, keeping you fuller longer and can help to prevent bloating, constipation, diarrhea and even leaky gut syndrome; and
- Buckwheat cereal is faster to cook than oatmeal!
Buckwheat is also gentle on the stomach and digestive system, and as such is recommended for Gluten-Free, celiac and IBS friendly diets. As it is rich in fiber, it can help keep you fuller for longer and help slow and regulate the digestive system. Therefore, helping to prevent abdominal bloating, constipation, diarrhea and Leaky Gut Syndrome.
As if that weren’t enough, buckwheat also has the right amount of protein to help kids to focus in school, and great for busy parents as it cooks much quicker than oatmeal alternatives, leaving the family ready to take on their day!
So save time cooking…
To have a healthy, hot, “everything-free” breakfast, just boil water for your Creamy Buckwheat Hot Cereal and cook for 10 minutes per the instructions on the packaging.
In the meantime, while you wait the 10 minutes, enjoy a little extra mirror time 🙂 and family time by giving each other a tight morning hug to release oxytocin (the love and bonding hormone) to help you get pumped up to take on the day and start earning those A’s!
Still can’t even imagine if you had an extra minute in the morning before school…? Then click here to get your Free 1 Minute Daily Detox Tips for the Calm Mom.
Buckwheat for dinner?
Lucas, our self-proclaimed 7 yr old Magician in the Kitchen, has come up with another way to enjoy buckwheat. Check out his video where he demonstrates how you can have buckwheat for breakfast…
Have you eaten buckwheat?
I’d love to hear how you liked it. Please share in the comments below what you thought and, more importantly, what your kids thought.
I’m addicted to cooking real foods and shopping locally at Farmer’s Markets.I am a health revolutionary who is writing this blog with a desire to “pay it forward in health”.This desire stems from love and my pursuit to make a difference in people’s health and wellbeing”.
I am a certified Transformational Nutrition Coach that helps women discover their healthy lifestyle that finally works so that they can transform into the healthy sexy and confident woman they want, and are meant to be.
1. Many of the links on this site are affiliate links which means that we get a small commission should you purchase something upon clicking on the link. This has no impact on your cost. For this, I thank you very much for helping us to keep this site free of ads. Of course, we wouldn't recommend anything unless we wholeheartedly believed in it.
2. The statements made here have not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. These statements are not intended to diagnose, treat or cure or prevent any disease. This notice is required by the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act.