Vegetables are good for all seasons!
No matter what time of year, we love eating what's most fresh because it's the healthiest and tastiest! Your taste buds and your body actually crave what's in season.
Don't you just crave cold and juicy watermelon in the summer to help you cool off? You crave watermelon because it literally helps your body cool down. And on the other hand, you don't really crave or think of eating a watermelon in the winter because it's too cold and you rather get warm and cozy with butternut squash soup which is in season during the winter!
Choosing your vegetables based on what's in season is a great way to make sure you're not only getting super fresh veggies but that you're getting the most bang for your buck!
And before we talk about money, let's talk about the biggest BANG you'll get and how you'll get you family healthier fast by eating vegetables that are in season and local. Vegetables that are in season and harvested at their prime, are the most jam packed with fresh vitamins and nutrients. Giving your body the most benefit from eating your veggies. And we're not only talking basic benefits like raising healthier children, but eating your veggies will also help you with detoxing, hormone balancing and even getting Good Vibes going in your home. So if you and your family find it hard to eat more veggies, then start by eating the freshest veggies you can get your hands on.
And, because your seasonal and local vegetables don't have to travel far to get to you, you save on your family's carbon footprint – BANG!
And for that money saving tip… you will save money buying seasonal veggies due to their larger supply. Can you say ABUNDANCE!!!!!
So where should you buy THE FRESHEST organic vegetables?
None other than at the Farmers Market. You won’t find out-of-season or out-of-region produce at the farmers market. And, speaking of fresh, wouldn’t you rather get some fresh air while you stroll along the outdoor stalls of fresh produce rather than roll your cart around a big box store with artificial lights and piped in music?
Going to a farmers market makes shopping FUN rather than a chore. It’s a place to meet up with friends, bring children, or get a taste of a small-town community in the midst of a big city.
This summer may be the time to get into seasonal eating like our friends at Pete's Paleo ALWAYS do. You have tons of choices during the warmer months, so take advantage of them. Find your local Farmer's Market here.
And if you don't know what to do with all of your super fresh veggies, here's my favorite recipe that you can put your very own Farmer's Market finds right into and get even more BANG for your buck!
Farmers Choice Sauté
- Choice of seasonal veggies from local Farmers Market,(i.e. beets, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots).
- 1 tbsp. ghee or coconut oil
- ¼ tsp. pink Himalayan sea salt
- ¼ tsp. garlic (powder or fresh minced)
- Optional: pine nuts for topping
1. Heat coconut oil or ghee in a sauté pan over medium-low heat.
2. Sprinkle salt and add garlic evenly and stir.
3. Stir in dense veggies that require more cooking time, such as leeks or carrots.
4. Stir in lighter veggies to sauté pan and continue cooking to desired taste.
The BONUS BANG FOR YOUR BUCK is getting your family to eat their vegetables without any complaints is in this cooking process.
Sauteing is one of the better ways to cook vegetables if you want to maintain as many of their nutrients as possible. And the healthy fat you use (like the coconut oil or ghee in this recipe) to saute your veggies actually helps your body absorb the nutrients of the vegetables better. Plus, it just makes your veggies taste better!
And just in case, here's one of my favorite healthy, seasonal and local to me 😉 cookbooks: Paleo By Season.
So give into your cravings and tell me what veggie you're craving right now?
Share it with us by commenting below
I’m addicted to cooking real foods and shopping locally at Farmer’s Markets.I am a health revolutionary who is writing this blog with a desire to “pay it forward in health”.This desire stems from love and my pursuit to make a difference in people’s health and wellbeing”.
I am a certified Transformational Nutrition Coach that helps women discover their healthy lifestyle that finally works so that they can transform into the healthy sexy and confident woman they want, and are meant to be.
1. Many of the links on this site are affiliate links which means that we get a small commission should you purchase something upon clicking on the link. This has no impact on your cost. For this, I thank you very much for helping us to keep this site free of ads. Of course, we wouldn't recommend anything unless we wholeheartedly believed in it.
2. The statements made here have not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. These statements are not intended to diagnose, treat or cure or prevent any disease. This notice is required by the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act.