Our Crockpot is My Friend!
We've brought in our Family For Health Neighbors, and friends Jayson Calton, PhD and Mira Calton, CN from Calton Nutrition to share with you a great chili recipe. You may recall that the Calton's have also wrote this Must Have Free Guide for Safe and Healthy BBQs.
The thing I love about this recipe in particular is that:
=> You can dump this recipe into your crock pot and have dinner cook while you run errands.
=> You can make a big batch on Sunday to use for the week.
=> You can make a double batch and store the extra in the freezer for when you need to break it out in case of emergency.
What's the BONUS?!?
This simple to make, delicious and healthy recipe, that the whole family will enjoy, is a 3-in-1 recipe because you can can make this 1 recipe 3 different ways:
2. Organic grass fed ground beef
3. Vegetarian by using black beans and/or Vegan by omitting the cheese
Oh, snap… does that make it 4 recipes in 1??? Yay!
Remember, if you or your child has an allergy or intolerance to dairy, the gluten free crumbled blue cheese is not added until the end of this recipe. So you can put the cheese on Dad's bowl!
You don't have to put it on your child's bowl or you don't even have to put it on your bowl if you are going through a cleanse and are eliminating dairy just for a few weeks. Such an easy fix!
And, now to the Calton's…
Chili from a chicken? Nothing to cluck at. Don’t let the name fool you!
While you may not usually think about chicken and chili at the same time, but if you are like us, and LOVE Buffalo Chicken Wings, you are going to go crazy over our Buffalo Chicken Chili. This chili totally hits the spot by combining all of the delicious Buffalo Chicken Wing flavors, including the blue cheese dip, in one delicious bowl of chili goodness.
For Mira, this is a real blast from the past. Being from upstate NY, the home of the spicy hot chicken wing, this recipe makes it super simple to grab. The all deliciousness of the chicken wing without the sugary wing sauces or the expense of take out! It is perfect to make in a big batch on Sundays and then freeze for leftovers when you are in a time crunch.
Here's the recipe!
Buffalo Chicken Chili
- 1.5 lbs. ground organic pasture raised chicken (can sub organic grass-fed ground beef if you prefer or sprouted black beans to make this vegetarian/vegan)
- 4 tbsp. SKINNYFat original
- 1 lg. organic onion
- 2 stalks of organic celery, chopped
- 2 lg. carrots, peeled & chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 28 oz. can fire roasted diced tomato (organic and BPA free can)
- 2 tablespoons organic chili powder
- 1 tsp. organic cumin
- 1 tsp. organic dried oregano
- ½ tsp. organic cayenne
- Unrefined sea salt and organic pepper to taste
- ½ cup organic crumbled blue cheese (gluten free!)
- 3 tbsp. organic white vinegar
- Heat oil in large ceramic pot (or I used my highly recommended pot-Le Crueset )
- Add in chicken until brown
- Stir in onion, celery, carrots, garlic, fire roasted diced tomato and all the spices.
- Cover and cook on low for approx. 4 hours.
- Optional Step: after browning chicken in pot place all the ingredients in a slow cooker for 4 hours.
- Mix in the blue cheese and vinegar just before serving
The only thing you may want to change about this recipe is the quantities of each ingredient. After seeing how fast this Buffalo Chicken Chili disappears you may want to double the recipe next time.
You can find more delicious micronutrient packed recipes in our new book “The Micronutrient Miracle”.
Share this recipe with a mommy friend, she just might not know what to cook for dinner tonight and you can help her out right now!
I’m addicted to cooking real foods and shopping locally at Farmer’s Markets.I am a health revolutionary who is writing this blog with a desire to “pay it forward in health”.This desire stems from love and my pursuit to make a difference in people’s health and wellbeing”.
I am a certified Transformational Nutrition Coach that helps women discover their healthy lifestyle that finally works so that they can transform into the healthy sexy and confident woman they want, and are meant to be.
1. Many of the links on this site are affiliate links which means that we get a small commission should you purchase something upon clicking on the link. This has no impact on your cost. For this, I thank you very much for helping us to keep this site free of ads. Of course, we wouldn't recommend anything unless we wholeheartedly believed in it.
2. The statements made here have not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. These statements are not intended to diagnose, treat or cure or prevent any disease. This notice is required by the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act.