Situations such as illness, gall bladder removal, overuse of antacids, and normal aging can contribute to insufficient secretion of stomach acid, pancreatic enzymes, and bile, and can adversely affect digestive enzyme activity and lead to heartburn, gas, bloating, and other symptoms of gastrointestinal discomfort.*
Maldigestion can lead to digestive problems and poor absorption of nutrients, resulting in vitamin deficiencies (particularly fat-soluble vitamins like vitamins A, D, E, and K). Food allergies can develop when inadequately digested proteins are absorbed through the gut. As large proteins are absorbed intact, the body might recognize them as foreign and create antibodies to them, resulting in an allergic response to the food. An individual who has frequent indigestion should make sure to have adequate enzyme support.*
Maldigestion is an issue that can affect individuals of any dietary preference or persuasion. Although many enzyme formulas come from animal sources, there are alternative sources available with demonstrated benefits as digestive aids.* For individuals wanting a vegetarian-source digestive enzyme formula, Thorne's Plantizyme provides amylase, protease, lipase, cellulase, and lactase from an Aspergillus fungus species.*
I am fueled by "Paying It Forward in Health" on this site.My main driver in creating this website, alongside my family, is to share our ongoing family health journey in hopes of encouraging others to have the health epiphany that we have been blessed to experience.
1. Many of the links on this site are affiliate links which means that we get a small commission should you purchase something upon clicking on the link. This has no impact on your cost. For this, I thank you very much for helping us to keep this site free of ads. Of course, we wouldn't recommend anything unless we wholeheartedly believed in it.
2. The statements made here have not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. These statements are not intended to diagnose, treat or cure or prevent any disease. This notice is required by the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act.
Latest posts by Michael Ortiz (see all)
- Date and Pistachio Bars (Gluten Free, Paleo, No Bake Recipe) - October 9, 2015
- A Healthy Watermelon Drink Recipe That's Also A Party Trick - September 7, 2015
- 5 Top Ways on How To Stay Healthy While On Vacation! - August 25, 2015